- DO you eat because you are tired, bored, stressed, or angry?
- HAVE you lost and regained the same pounds over and over again?
- DO you eat for reasons you can’t name?
- ARE you frustrated with your inability to stop eating after you are full?
- HAVE you worried that your eating is out of control?
When: Monday evenings from 6:30-8:00 PM;
Apr. 2nd - May 21st
Where: 107 N. Palm Avenue
Indialantic, FL 32903
Cost: $160.00/person includes the program & all materials
To Register: Call Lucy Lauer at 321-327-3793 or mail completed form at the bottom of this flyer to address listed.
Emotional Eating Group FAQs
Who may benefit from attending?
- Anyone who has struggled to lose weight repeatedly only to gain it all back;
- Anyone who feels their eating is out of control or that food thoughts take up way too much time and mental energy;
- Those who have developed a “love-hate” relationship with food;
- People who use food habitually to sooth unpleasant emotions or other discomfort.
Who facilitates the groups?
- Lucy S. Lauer is a Licensed Mental Health Counselor with 26 years experience as a Registered Dietitian who specializes in disordered eating, relationship enhancement, compassion fatigue, and challenging life transitions.
- Kristine VanWorkum is a Registered Dietitian who specializes in disordered eating, obesity, and diabetes. See her website for more information: www.brevardnutrition.com
What is an Emotional Eating Group?
- It is a Psycho-educational group designed to help participants:
- Identify patterns of unconscious, habitual and emotionally-driven eating;
- Practice mindful & purposeful eating based on hunger, fullness, individual preferences & health goals;
- Find new ways to deal with difficult emotions or situations;
- Develop discipline instead of punishment to achieve lifestyle change;
- Reclaim the satisfaction of eating good food.
- It is not a weight loss group. Individuals’ weight goals are not discussed or tracked.
- It is not a support group in that participants do not “drop-in”. It is a closed group in which participants sign up for the full 8 weeks in order to promote continuity, confidentiality and a sense of shared experience.
- It is not a psychotherapy group, so there is no diagnosis made & insurance is not billed.
How does it work?
- Each 90-minute group focuses on different topics with follow-up from previous weeks.
- We use a variety of tools, written exercises and experiences to foster self-awareness.
- Group discussion provides empathy & perspective from others with similar challenges.
- Home practice encourages participants to experiment with new behaviors to achieve identified goals.
- Core topics are always introduced and are expanded or abbreviated based on the interest of participants. Some core topics include:
- Practicing Non-Judgmental Self-Observation
- Identifying triggers for non-hunger eating
- Options for coping with anger, boredom, guilt, anxiety & other difficult emotions
- Challenging distorted thought patterns that perpetuate negative feelings
- Goal-setting, follow-through and relapse-prevention
- Developing a comprehensive self-care routine
- Portion awareness and healthy meal planning
- Dealing with mindless eating in a healthier ways
How well does it work?
- Eating attitudes and behaviors have shown statistically significant improvement in groups where data has been collected.
- Anecdotally, a majority of participants report that they:
- Feel more confident about coping with challenging eating triggers;
- Feel less anxious about weight & focus more on healthy eating and living;
- Are more attuned to hunger & fullness and their own food preferences vs. rigidly following arbitrary food rules;
- Are more accepting of the need for regular self-care to reduce cravings for overeating’
- Feel less guilt, shame and anxiety related to eating.
When are groups offered?
- Four times a year: Winter, Spring, Summer & Fall. See website for next group dates.
- Monday nights from 6:30-8:00
- 8 consecutive weeks
- We also offer the option of a 3-4 week extension for groups who are interested. Some people find they are really hitting their stride by the 6th week or so, and don’t want to wait for the next group to take it again. If we have 5 participants who are interested, we continue the group for 3-4 weeks depending on holidays.
- Participants may repeat the group as often as they like for the same fee.
- At our office: 107 N. Palm Ave, Indialantic, FL, 32903
- Pre-registration is required since space is limited and we like to be fully prepared for all of our participants from the very beginning.
Please feel free to contact me at 321-327-3793 or
Kristine VanWorkum at 321-327-7948 or on her website: www.brevardnutrition.com